Over the Great Aletsch Glacier
From Jungfraujoch through the UNESCO World Heritage Site (CH) | 3 days
Trek over the longest glacial stream in the Alps, the Great Aletsch Glacier. Measuring 23 kilometers in length from its catchment area in the Jungfrau region to the Massa Gorge, the glacier has a 900 m ice cover as it reaches the Konkordiaplatz. From Top of Europe – Jungfraujoch to Bettmeralp in three days. An unforgettable experience!
A continuous route, sure-footedness and experience of day hikes required; Terrain: mostly moderately steep (T1-T2); Alpine technique: experience is not necessary
Duration from 2 to 4 hours, up to approx. 700 vertical meters, approx. 250 vertical meters per hour.
3-10 participants per mountain guide
8.00 a.m. Intelaken Ost train station (train arrival 7.58 a.m. Intelaken Ost). Continuation of the journey to Jungfraujoch 8.35 a.m.
approx. 3 p.m. Bettmeralp
We have already reserved the train from Intelaken Ost to Jungfraujoch. But each guest has to buy his own train ticket separately (train departure Intelaken Ost 8.35 a.m.).
The offer is held in German. Therefore, a basic understanding of German is important. Our mountain guides have a basic knowledge of English and can provide the necessary information in English. Often there are helpful guests on the tours and courses who are happy to help with the translation.
Find out more about the right equipment here
COVID-19: Find our protection concept here
- Guiding and supervision by a mountain guide
- Accommodation with half board: 1 x hut, 1 x mountain inn (base camp)
- 15% discount on mammut.com
- Travel to the course
- Transport (train from Interlaken Ost to Jungfraujoch approx.CHF 60 per person)
- Glacier equipment CHF 60.- (climbing harness, ice axe, crampons)
- Snacks and drinks
- A CHF 12.- per night (approx.) hut tax for non-SAC members
Day 1Arrival and welcome at Jungfraujoch. A few steps along the mountain tunnel will take you into the fascinating alpine glacier landscape. After an introductory session on how to use crampons and ice picks, attached to your mountain guide's rope, you will trek towards the first target destination, the Konkordiaplatz. The multitude of steps leading up to the Konkordia Hut provide the last challenge on this impressive first day.
Day 2After a hearty breakfast, you will return to the Konkordiaplatz and follow the flow of the glacial ice at a steady pace as far as Platta. A short ascent will lead you to the picturesque Märjelensee lake and the cozy Gletscherstube mountain inn at 2,357 m.
Day 3Each step will take you closer to the glacial tongue, until you leave the eternal ice and hike to Bettmeralp via Moosfluh. The view looking back towards the Great Aletsch Glacier couldn’t be more impressive. You will then return to the valley by train and continue your journey home.
Our mountain guide will bring the ordered rental equipment to the meeting place. The following equipment can be rented:
- Climbing harness with 1x safelock carabiner
- Ice axe
- Crampons with ABS
- Climbing harness with with 1x safelock carabiner (or 2x screw carabiners)
- Ice axe
- Crampons with ABS
- Backpack approx. 30l with rain cover
- Gaiter (optional)
- Telescopic trekking poles (optional)
- 1x Hardshell jacket and pants (wind- and waterproof)
- 1x Mountaineering or trekking pants
- 1x Soft shell and/or fleece jacket
- 1x Down jacket
- 1x Short/long functional underwear
- 1x Cap/headband and 1x hat
- 2 pairs of gloves (1 thin pair, 1 warm, windproof and waterproof pair)
- 1x Functional socks and 1x spare socks
- Hiking shoes or mountaineering shoes (at least ankle-high, hard sole)
- Own toiletries, ear plugs if required
- clohtes to wear in the hut (Minimum)
- slipper socks are at the hut
- Sleeping bag liner made of silk or cotton (for hygienic reasons)
- Pillow (60x60)
- Protective masks (2 masks for each overnight stay)
- SAC/Alpine Club member card (if avalaible)
- Breakfast and dinner at the hut
- Tea an lunch must be brought or can be bought at the hut
- Snacks (e.g. energy bars, dried fruit, dried meat)
- Sun cream and lip cream (SPF 30 or higher)
- Camera and binoculars (optional)
- half fare travelcard (if existing)
- Thermos flask made from break-proof material
- headlamp or flashlight with new batteries
- Small medicinal supplies for personal requirements