Sport climbing - Give it a go
Enjoy the view at the top of the route and celebrate your climbing triumph (CH) | 1 day
Chalk up your hands and feel the texture of the rock with your fingers, position your feet with precision and scale the rock face move by move. Climbing outdoors is an extra intense experience. During this course, we teach you the basic skills you need for rock climbing.
This course gives you the basic skills you need to take on single-pitch routes in climbing parks, as well as the necessary anchoring techniques.
- Gear, knot-tying skills
- Anchoring technique and rope handling (top rope)
- Basic rock climbing techniques
- Rope manoeuvres, abseiling
- Safety aspects
After completing this course, you will be able to climb single-pitch routes following an experienced lead climber in well-secured climbing parks or participate in a more advanced course.
No outdoor climbing experience required; some previous indoor climbing experience helpful.
Anchoring technique: basic familiarity with anchoring techniques when climbing as a second (follower).
Duration from 2 to 5 hours, up to approx. 700 vertical meters, approx. 250 vertical meters per hour.
2-8 participants per guide
9.15 a.m. Mammut Store Andermatt / Imholz Sport - Piazza Gottardo (train arrival 9.06 a.m. Andermatt)
Approx. 4 p.m. from point of departure
Technical material (ropes etc.) is provided by the Mammut Alpine School.
COVID-19: Our protection concept find you here
- Guiding and supervision by a mountain guide
- 15% discount on mammut.com
- Travel to the course
- Transport (possible travel by mountain rail)
- Climbing equipment CHF 15.- (climbing harness/chalk bag, climbing shoes, helmet)
- Snacks and drinks
Day 1 After the participants have all arrived in Andermatt, they will be greeted by the guide in our shop, briefed on the plans for the day and given their rented gear. Depending on the weather conditions, you will begin with a climb on one of the faces at Oberalpschijen/Lutersee, in the Furka area, on Gotthard Pass or possibly even in Ticino. The climbs have difficulty ratings between 3 and 5. You will learn proper rope handling and anchoring techniques. Our guide will offer you tips on improving your climbing skills.
Our mountain guide will bring the technical equipment (rope, carabiner, belay device) to the meeting place. The following rental equipment can be rented:
- Climbing harness, chalk bag
- Climbing shoes
- Climbing helmet
- Backpack approx. 25l
- Climbing harness
- Belay device
- Climbing shoe
- Climbing helmet
- 1x Hardshell jacket (wind- and waterproof)
- 1x Hardshell pants (wind- and waterproof)
- 1x Soft shell and/or fleece jacket
- 1x Climbing pants
- 1x functional socks
- 1x isolation jacket
- 1x short/long functional underwear
- 1x Cap/hat
- Hiking shoes or mountaineering shoes (at least ankle-high, hard sole)
- Tea and lunch must be brought or can be bought in the village
- Snacks (e.g. energy bars, dried fruit, dried meat)
- Sun cream and lip cream (SPF 30 or higher)
- Thermos flask made from break-proof material
- Small medicinal supplies for personal requirements
- Camera (optional)